If you have loose or ill-fitting dentures, your ability to eat and speak may be affected. Due to advances in dentistry, there is now a procedure whereby your denture can be secured to your jaw with dental implants. This treatment, known as implant overdentures or denture stabilisation, offers patients with dentures a more permanent solution and can improve quality of life significantly. You will be able to enjoy your favourite foods again and feel comfortable smiling, safe in the knowledge that your dentures are staying put.
Here is how it works:
- You will require minor surgery to have the implants placed into your jaw.
- Once the implants have integrated with the bone and surrounding tissues for a period of time, your dentures are placed on top of the implants through a range of special fixtures which your prosthodontist will choose for you.
- This means your dentures can still be removed for cleaning, but will stay put once in place.
Benefits of this treatment
- Enjoy a natural-looking smile and improved confidence in public.
- Experience less irritation of your gums that can be caused by traditional dentures.
- You can eat, chew and bite without your dentures falling out or having to stick to a soft food diet for the rest of your life.
- Get rid of messy denture adhesive or fixatives.
- Slows or stops wasting away of the bone around the implants and so maintains the shape of your jaws better.
- Stops movement of dentures interfering with speech and public confidence.